What makes Video Poker special from traditional Poker is its feature of giving the highest house odds. Of course, that would depend on the game variant and the online casino. The best way to always get an advantage over online casinos is by playing the games smarter. To become a smarter player at Video Poker, you must first know how the standard Poker game is played. Your skills would really make a difference.
The most popular version of Video Poker is Jacks or Better. Jacks or Better is based on the five-card game wherein you need to have a hand that includes a pair of Jacks or higher ranking cards to win. It is really that simple! Regardless of the game variant, the strategy to getting more odds of winning in Video Poker is also as simple.
Learn the rules of Poker and Video Poker
To win in Poker, you need to have a hand that will be made up of any of the top ten high ranking cards. These winning hands in Poker are:
- Royal Flush – Ace, King, Queen, Jack and a ten. All cards must have the same rank.
- Straight Flush – Consecutive cards in numerical order that have the same suit.
- Flush – Five cards of the same suit.
- Four of a Kind – Four cards with the same suit and one kicker.
- Fullhouse – Three cards with the same rank and two cards of a different matching rank.
- Straight – Five cards in numerical order.
- Three of a Kind – The cards of the same rank and two kickers.
- Two Pairs – Two pairs of cards with different matching ranks.
- One Pair – Two cards that are the same.
- High Card – Any card that is higher than your other cards from your hand.
The basic rule of Poker applies the same in Video Poker. However, you need to have at least a pair of Jacks or higher ranking cards to win. If you know these different winning hands by heart, then you’ll definitely increase your edge in acing Video Poker!
Basic Video Poker strategy
In every Poker game, you must know exactly when the right time it is for you to call, check, raise, or fold. The good thing about Video Poker is that you have the option to change your cards to improve your hand. Here’s a basic strategy you could consider when you play Video Poker at an online casino:
- Draw four cards when you have only one high card.
- Draw three cards when you have any pair in your hand.
- Draw two cards when you have three of a kind or three cards to a straight flush.
- Draw one card when you have four of a kind, two pairs, or four cards to a straight or flush.
- Do not draw any cards when you have a straight, flush, full house, straight flush, or royal straight flush.
The best way to win in any Video Poker game is by not guessing. Sure, it is like slots. However, you don’t really need skills to play a slot game. Remember that Poker is all about skills and money management. You can’t ace your game if you do not know how to play with the cards you are dealt with. With this basic strategy, you should be able to get more chances of winning. Play your cards well and may the odds be ever in your favour! Good luck!